Before Part 1
- Shapiro, Francine: EMDR: Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, Basic principles, protocols and procedures*. Guildford Press, 2001. Chapters 1 – 6
- A review of post-traumatic stress, co-morbid conditions (depression and anxiety) (DSM IV)
- The NICE recommendations for the treatment of PTSD summary (www.nice.org.uk)
Before Part 2
- Shapiro, Francine: As above. Chapters 7, 8 & 10
- Self review common phobias, and the role of avoidance
Before Part 3
- Shapiro, Francine: As above p 221 (Protocols and Procedures for special situations, including sexual abuse victims, p 290)
- Shapiro, Francine: As above p 441-445 (A general guide to the use of EMDR in dissociative disorders)
- Review dissociation and complex trauma
Before Part 4
- Review all previously learnt material
- Familiarise yourself with other protocols than the standard protocol
Supervision and Practice Requirements
After Part 1
- Practice the full protocol at least twice, preferably on a client, alternatively on a colleague in a role play.
- Present at least one session at the Part 2 training, using the supervision form on the website (this may be an incomplete session or a role play). Supervision will take place in small groups.
- Utilise either a peer supervisor, an EMDR accredited practitioner or consultant.
After Part 2
- Complete one case from assessment to closure and present at Part 3 training, using the supervision template form.
After Part 3
- It is recommended that you work towards accreditation as an EMDR practitioner with EMDR UK & Ireland and EMDR Europe and receive ongoing supervision.
After Part 4
- Work towards accreditation as an EMDR Europe accredited practitioner.